Reis Magos Fort Goa
The important aspect of the little peninsula that sticks Reis Magos on the northern edge of the sand was the defeat of a Muslim outpost Albuquerque in 1510 during one of his battles in the Bardez was added to the Portuguese territory and strength built in 1551 which had a very important position.
It was later rebuilt in 1703 it was obvious importance in 1739 when the Marathas took over the entire Bardez with only the Reis Magos Fort Aguada and standing on the north bank of the Mandovi. strength is being used as a prison and is an important milestone in the Mandovi and many other places off the coast. The facade of the white church, as well as the strength is also prominent. The church is especially important from the point of view that this part of the town and the fort has its name of "Three Kings" it symbolizes the Magi, ie, the three Wise Men to Bethlehem after the bright star to give their gifts to baby Jesus.
The church was first built here in 1555 when the Franciscan missionaries who were devoted to the conversion of the people of Bardez with boom and enthusiasm. A school and a workshop was part of the church later. The name of St. Jerome, who competed with the efforts of the Jesuits in Old Goa and Rachol, since it was an important center of learning after St. Paul in Old Goa. Some viceroys stayed here while some of them were in the palace of Adil Shah across the river, with the end of our stay here was served when they had to sail up the river to the other side of assuming their duties or had to leave for Portugal. Three of them failed to meet its mission, since they died and were buried here. The learning center is gone, but the church remains a landmark of gold with its characteristic façade of the church's position on a wave of measures the width of the church running along the river. The amplitude of the church is enhanced by five-door, while slender Corinthian columns separating the compartments offer the grace of his simplicity, his impression that strengthened through the high belfry decorated scroll and crown logo in addition to royalty and dignity of this wonderful Church of Goa.
From the church being built on the site of a Hindu temple as the common practice of the Portuguese, who has obvious strategic and historic references to the evidence leading to the bottom of the stone balustrade on each side of the staircase of the church in which the figures are carved lions which means the presence of Hindu temple ruins of these decorations are usually used for Hindu temples in southern India and Vijayanagar architecture in the centuries 14 and 15.
In the corridor of the church, an impressive stone carving on the right of the altar, over near the church marks the burial place of one of the largest Portuguese Viceroy, Don Luis de Ataide. The Portuguese were to be expelled in 1570, when three Muslim states plotted together against the young King of Portugal and Goa besieged on all sides with a formidable army of 1,00,000 troops and elephants in 2000. The Portuguese military force only 7000 turned out to be no match against them and the glory of Golden Goa was of short duration. The Portuguese Viceroy Don Luis de Ataide administration offered for another term, but not for long as he died shortly after taking office in March 1581 mainly due to the anxiety by the news of the king's death at the hands of Moors in the Battle of Ksar el Kebir in North Africa. The cemetery walls and doors of the prison near him is above the church of Reis Magos. The feast of the Church of the Magi is celebrated on 6 January each year the celebration of the offering of the gifts of the Magi to the Infant Jesus, this place is one of the other three places in Goa, where this is carried out.
The other three places where we celebrate the feast of the Magi are Chandor, Salcete and Mormugao Taluka in Cansaulim. This festival is highlighted by the presence of a colorful procession and attendant ceremonies. The road that goes from Reis Magos Vèrémer follows the river and turn into the Nerul river surrounding the rice fields wide crossing that leads to signal Candolim Church, Our Lady of Hope. The church tower was added 100 years later, after construction of the church with them distinguished by a characteristic of the builders of the church.